2017年12月英语六级阅读练习：男女合校2017-12-11 10:29 来源：新东方在线
Imagining being asked to spend twelve or soyears of your life in a society which consisted only ofmembers of own sex. How would you react? Unlessthere was something definitely wrong with you, youwouldn't be too happy about it, to say the least. It isall the more surprising therefore that so manyparents in the world choose to impose suchabnormal conditions on their children – conditions which they themselves wouldn’t put up withfor one minute!
Any discussion of this topic is bound to question the aims of education. Stuffing children'sheads full of knowledge is far from being foremost among them. One of the chief aims ofeducations is to equip future citizens with all they require to take their place in adult society. Now adult society is made up of men and women, so how can a segregated school possiblyoffer the right sort of preparation for it? Anyone entering adult society after years ofsegregation can only be in for a shock.
A co-educational school offers children nothing less than a true version of society inminiature. Boys and girls are given the opportunity to get to know each other, to learn tolive together from their earliest years. They are put in a position where they can comparethemselves with each other in terms of academic ability, athletic achievement and many ofthe extra-curricular activities which are part of school life. What a practical advantage it is ( togive just a small example ) to be able to put on a school play in which the male parts will betaken by boys and the female parts by girls! What nonsense co-education makes of theargument that boys are cleverer than girl or vice-versa. When segregated, boys and girls aremade to feel that they are a race apart. Rivalry between the sexes is fostered. In acoeducational school, everything falls into its proper place.
But perhaps the greatest contribution of co-education is the healthy attitude to life itencourages. Boys don't grow up believing that women are mysterious creatures – airygoddesses, more like book-illustrations to a fairy-tale, than human beings. Girls don't grow upimagining that men are romantic heroes. Years of living together at school dispel illusions ofthis kind. There are no goddesses with freckles, pigtails, piercing voices and inky fingers. Thereare no romantic heroes with knobbly knees, dirty fingernails and unkempt hair. The awkwardstage of adolescence brings into sharp focus some of the physical and emotional problemsinvolved in growing up. These can better be overcome in a co-educational environment. Segregated schools sometimes provide the right conditions for sexual deviation. This is hardlypossible under a co-educational system. When the time comes for the pupils to leave school, they are fully prepared to enter society as well-adjusted adults. They have already had yearsof experience in coping with many of the problems that face men and women.
1. What is the best title for this passage?
[A] only co-education can be in harmony with society.
[B] people are in great need of co-education.
[C] any form of education other than co-education is simply unthinkable.
[D] co-education has many features.
2. what does co-education offer to children?
[A] A society.
[B] A true small model of society.
[C] A real life.
[D] True version of social condition.
3. According to the passage, what is one of the chief aims of education?
[A] It is for students to acquire knowledge.
[B] It is to equip future citizens with scientific technology.
[C] It is to equip future citizens with what is required in getting a position in society.
[D] It is for students to get academic achievements.
4. Why do boys and girls in co-education have no illusion about each other?
[A] They live together and know each other too well.
[B] Years of living together at school dismiss such illusion.
[C] co-education encourage them to have an healthy attitude toward life.
[D] They are familiar with each other’s problems.
1. to be in for = receive 接受
He is in for punishment. 他受到惩罚。
2. miniature 缩样，雏形，微型画
3. freckle 雀斑
4. pigtail 鞭子
5. knobbly = knobby 多节的
6. unkempt 乱七八糟，蓬乱的
7. sharp focus = clear view
bring into focus 使集中在焦点上，对光
bring into sharp focus 这里的意义是：一目了然，明显突出
8. deviation 越轨，偏离，入歧途
1. all the more
2. a co-educational school offers children nothing less than a true version of society in miniature.
3. The awkward stage of adolescence brings into sharp focus some of the physical and emotional problems involved in growing up.
1. C 除了男女合校，其他形式的教育简直难以想象。答案见第一段“设想请你在一个只有你一样性别的人存在的社会生活12年光景，你会如何反应呢?除非你本人确实有毛病，否则，你至少不会太高兴。因此，世界上有那么多的父母愿意把这种不正常的环境(他们自己一分钟都受不了的环境)强加给他们的孩子们，这太令人惊讶!”第二段讲“教育的目的之一就是为未来的公民在成人社会中找一席之地，准备好需要的一切。而社会由男女组成，那分校又怎能准备?”后两段讲合校之优点，分校之缺点，具体对比突出主题。这都说明C 最合适。A. 只有合校才能和社会相协调。D. 合校有许多特点。这两项文章内容涉及到，但作为最佳标题则不确切。B. 人们非常需要合校。文内没有直接谈到。2. B 一个真实社会的缩影。这在第三段第一句“男女合校确实能给孩子们提供一个社会真实的缩影。”下面的内容都是围绕这个主题而写的具体情况。如：生活在一起，彼此了解，对比等。A. 社会。C. 一种真实的生活。D. 真实的社会情况。都没有B项那样确切。
3. C 为未来公民在社会上拥有一席之地，准备好所需要的一切。这在第二段“这个话题的讨论必然会引出教育目的的问题。把各种知识塞进孩子头脑远不是教育主要的目的，教育的主要目的之一是为未来公民在成人社会求得一席之地，准备好所需一切。”A. 学生学到只是。B. 以科技武装未来公民。C.为学生缺德学术成就。都只是知识学习的一个部分。
4. B 几年学校共同生活打消了幻想。答案在第四段中,“在学校中，几年生活在一起消除这一类的幻想。没有什么脸上有雀斑，梳着鞭子，涂着指甲，尖的噪音的女神，也没有膝部有疙瘩，指甲脏兮兮，头发乱蓬蓬的浪漫英雄。棘手的青春期明显呈现出来的成长过程中身体上和感情上的问题，在男女合校环境中得到很好的解决。”A. 他们生活在一起，彼此太了解。此答案太过，不是太了解而不产生幻想，而是了解情况;真人就在眼前，人就实际了，消除了幻想。C. 合校鼓励他们对生活有一种健康积极的态度。这是合校的大方向，不是消除幻想的根本原因。D. 他们熟悉彼此的问题。不全是消除幻想之因，而是处理问题的前奏。这在最后一段最后两句话有说明“当学生离校的时刻来到时，他们已是很有适应性的成人，为进入社会做好了充分准备。他们已有几年处理面临男女的许多问题的经验。”