1. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
[答案] A. convicted.
[注释]be convicted to 被判有...... (罪) ：He was convicted of murder. (他被法院判有谋杀罪。)
2. The reason why he adapted to the new situations quickly is that he has a _____ attitude.
[答案] D. flexible.
[注释] flexible 灵活的, 可变通的; We need a foreign policy that is more flexible.
3. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to
B. in excess of
C. in contrast to
D. in favor of
[答案] D. in favor of.
[注释] in favor of 赞成。in excess of 超过。in relation to 关系到。in contrast to 与......相对照。例如：
1) Everyone in the class voted in favor of the party. (=All of the children voted to have a party.)
2) We got $5000 in excess of the fixed sum. (我们盯定额多收入5000美元。)
3) This appears small in contrast to (with) that. (这个同那个对比起来显得小了。)
4) I have a lot to say in relation to that affair. (我对那件事有许多话要说。)
5) We must plan in (with) relation to the future. (我们定计划时要考虑到将来。)
4. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn't see his work on his machine.
[答案] A. however.
[注释] however 然而。
5. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly ------ what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
[答案] C. affects.
[注释] affect (=have an influence or effect on) 影响：The climate affected his health. (气候影响[损害]了他的健康。)
[注意]affect vt. 影响。effect n. (=influent) 影响, 作用：Some films have a misleading effect on children. effect vt. (=bring about) 实行, 进行, 产生......后果:1) I will effect my purpose: no-one shall stop me! 2) We hope to effect an improvement. (我们希望能引起改进。)
注意两个常用的习语:1) to that effect 那个意思的 (话) ：She said she hated spinach, or words to that effect. (她说她不喜欢吃菠菜或那个意思的话。) 2) to the effect that... 意思时说, 表示下述意思：I said a few words the effect that all he had told us was already well known. (我说了几句话, 意思是说他告诉我们的一切都已众所周知。)