I. Vocabulary and Structure
1. ---Do you mind if I sit here?
A. Not at all. There is plenty of room.
B. Of course. Do sit down, please.
C. Never mind. I’d like to have some companion.
D. Sure. I’d like to have someone to talk to
2. –Why do you always tell me what to do? To be frank, I don’t like it.
--- I know, but __D__.
A. I don’t like it either.
B. How do I do for you?
C. I just want the best for you.
D. Obviously. You are right.
3. ----That was a delicious dinner.
A. Thank you. Don’t mention it.
B. You’re welcome.
C. Not so delicious, I’m afraid.
D. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
4. --- You are most beautiful in that red sweater.
A. Oh, no. It’s just an old one, and I have had it for years.
B. Yes. I think it goes nicely with my pants.
C. Thank you. My mom knitted it for me some years ago.
D. Oh, but I’m not sure if it suits me.
5. ---I missed Prof. Wang’s linguistics class again yesterday.
B. How nice you are!
C. What a pity!
D. Have a nice weekend.
6. She couldn’t understand his ____C_____ of country life to city life.
A. liking B. reference C. preference D. loving
7. It is ___A___ to walk on the top of the wall.
A. dangerous B. serious C. notorious D. vigorous
8. His parents didn’t consent to his ___A___ with Mary.
A. marriage B. dependence C. reliance D. charge
9. Basic chemical knowledge is a necessary ____B_____ for research in any natural science.
A. flat B. foundation C. base D. platform
10. A new __B___ in one branch of knowledge will probably have great influence on another.
A. average B. discovery C. recovery D. coverage
11. One of the main characters in Shakespeare’s play A Merchant in Venice is the ___C____ Shylock.
A. greasy B. great C. greedy D. greeting
12. The mankind has done many ____A_____ things to nature in its course of civilization.
A. destructive B. instructive C. progressive D. sensitive
13. The natural environment ___D___ greatly from place to place.
A. diffracts B. differentiates C. distinguishes D. differs
14. The use of wild animals in circuses was an innovation first introduced in the United States. D
A. a number B. a program C. a musical spectacle D. a new idea
15. Benjamin Franklin was not the first to suggest the relationship between lightning and the electricity, but his experiment with a kite was original. D
A. define B. confirm C. examine D. propose
16. The type and degree of molecular motion of a substance depend on the amount of thermal energy present. A
A. are determined by B. limit C. radiate D. are supported by
17. The young, especially, have no ____A_____ about hot weather.
A. complaint B. irritation C. trouble D. doubt
18. We hear a lot today about the ____C____ of education.
A. inability B. helplessness C. failure D. loss
19. By then radio broadcasts were reaching the ___D____ of homes in countries all over the world.
A. priority B. superiority C. minority D. majority
20. His illness may result C malnutrition.
A. in B. to C. from D. for
21. The manager will have to hire two people to make up B the lost time.
A. in B. for C. on D. of
22. A key B the back door is always kept on a high ledge above the door.
A. for B. to C. of D. on
23. ___D____ he was worried, he tried to appear calm.
A. Despite B. Unless C. Yet D. Although
24. Some hotel staff speak ___A____ English.
A. little B. small C. few D. scarcely
25. It’s no use ____B___ to get a bargain these days.
A. to expect B. expecting C. looking forward to D. you expect