1. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
[答案] C. blame.
[注释]take the blame for 对......承担责任。Take charge of 负责管理 (照顾) 。[注意]charge 前无冠词the.
2. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for
B. call forth
C. call off
D. call up
[答案] C. call off
3. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _____ what color it was.
A. look out
B. make out
C. get across
D. take after
[答案] B. make out
4. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
[答案] D. accordingly.
[注释]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因此, 所以。
5. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn't like.
[答案] D. effort.
[注释] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 努力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需要坚强的毅力吗？)